A compelling collection of iconic ghost stories from all across Canada.
Time and place are infused with ghosts and hauntings. From coast to coast to coast, Canada’s provinces and territories teem with the supernatural—phantoms obscured in the mists of time, spectres that delight in wreaking terror, and spirits destined to linger forever at the edge of the veil.
Visit the far-flung corners of Canada to discover the folklore and legends behind:
- the ghost of a Newfoundland outlaw that leads blizzard-blind men to safety
- A poltergeist infestation that gleefully tortured an entire Nova Scotia family
- A fleet of phantom ships that haunt the coastline of New Brunswick
- the haggard spectre of a murderous witch in historic Quebec City
- Saskatchewan’s ghost-ridden military cadet academy
- an Alberta cabbie’s encounter with a silent shadow of a man in black
- the headless railway brakeman of Vancouver
- a moaning, man-shaped mist that haunts a Yukon cabin
From east to west to way up north, bestselling author and renowned storyteller Barbara Smith traverses Canada’s provinces and territories to unearth more than 100 supernatural tales that careen between heartwarming, horrifying, sorrowful, and spine-chilling.
About the author
Barbara Smith was born and raised in Toronto and lived most of her life in Edmonton before settling in the Victoria area in 2006. Barbara is a full-time writer whose work is inspired by a love of mystery combined with her lifelong interest in social history. She has published over thirty books, twenty of which are collections of true ghost stories, including Campfire Stories of Western Canada, The Mad Trapper and perennial bestsellers Ghost Stories of Alberta, Ghost Stories and Mysterious Creatures of British Columbia, Ghost Stories of the Rocky Mountains and Canadian Ghost Stories. Barbara was also featured on the Discovery Channel's Hunt for the Mad Trapper.