Before his untimely death from cancer in 2018, veteran rider and passionate cyclist Ryan Correy (two-time finisher of the Tour Divide, founder of Bikepack Canada and author of A Purpose Ridden) pedalled his way through the most popular national parks in the Canadian Rockies in order to complete his work on this unique guidebook. Featuring routes in Waterton, Kananaskis, Banff, Kootenay, Yoho, and Jasper, Bikepacking in the Canadian Rockies will take biking enthusiasts on Beginner, Intermediate, and Expert journeys in the following locations:
- Front Range – 496 km gravel grind down the Alberta foothills
- High Rockies – 183 km opening sampler for the Great Divide
- Beaverfoot – 389 km expedition along the Rocky Mountain Trench
- Devil’s Gap – 214 km backcountry passage into Banff National Park
- Highwood – 357 km over Highwood Pass into the Crowsnest region
- Castle – 266 km circumnavigation of Waterton and Castle parks
- Top of the World – 347 km of remote climbs in the East Kootenays
- Flathead Valley – 291 km through “Grizzly Bear Alley” in southeast British Columbia
- Three Point – 173 km hike-a-bike adventure around Kananaskis
- Icefields Parkway (in winter) – 291 km fat-bike trek up the world-renowned Highway 93 to Jasper
The result of Correy’s remarkable dedication is an unparalleled collection of ten ambitious, multi-day routes complete with directional cues, detailed maps, a helpful Bikepacking 101 section, rich photography, and personal stories that will stoke the curiosity of both the beginner and the experienced backcountry rider.
About the author
Ryan Correy is an Ecotourism and Outdoor Leadership graduate who has taken on many of the world’s toughest cycling challenges, including a 25,000 km tour from Alaska to Argentina; the grueling 4828 km Race Across America; the 4418 km of remote mountain terrain on the Tour Divide; and a crippling 6 day, 20 hour stationary cycling World Record attempt. In between planning his next adventure, Ryan regularly speaks to groups of athletes about endurance and how to turn passion into purpose. He also serves as the Fueling Guru for Hammer Nutrition Canada—giving advice to amateur and professional athletes alike. Ryan lives in Burlington, Ontario, with his equally ambitious girlfriend, Sarah.